Turnaround Management Association
American Bar Association
Board Member, Kiwanis Club of Warren
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert N. Opel, II, Bankruptcy Judge, Middle District of Pennsylvania
Bar & Court Admissions
- United Stated District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Emory University School of Law, J.D.
- Notes and Comments Editor for the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
Wayne State University, B.A.
William C. Blasses
Bill focuses his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and general litigation. He has substantial experience representing individual and business debtors, creditors and trustees in bankruptcy proceedings, contested matters, adversary proceedings and bankruptcy appeals. Bill also has experience representing business owners in commercial litigation and related issues in state and federal courts as well as before administrative law judges.
Bill approaches each case with the mentality that complex problems require comprehensive solutions. In connection with bankruptcy and restructuring cases, he has represented businesses in connection with union issues, NLRB proceedings, asset sales, debt negotiation, workouts, receiverships, alter ego and successor liability, zoning, insurance, asset sales, commercial lease and tax issues. He has represented high income individuals in connection with out of court negotiations and bankruptcy proceedings, including asset protection, risk analysis, eligibility litigation and defense against dischargeability actions. On behalf of trustees, he has identified concealed assets, litigated causes of action and conducted asset sales. On behalf of creditors and other parties, he has defended preference and fraudulent transfer actions, uncovered hidden assets and obtained agreements and judgments for the non-dischargeability of debt. His experience on all sides of the table allows him to prepare comprehensive strategies for any issues that may arise.
Bill also asserts the same comprehensive approach to civil litigation. Although the issues may be narrower, the combination of thorough preparation and attention to detail put a client in the position to obtain the best possible settlement or judgment. Bill has experience representing businesses and individuals in a variety of proceedings before state, federal and administrative law judges involving real estate, tax, insurance, zoning, contract, construction and collection issues.
Bill has also been named to the Michigan "Rising Stars" list by Super Lawyers, a division of Thomson Reuters, and to Michigan Lawyers Weekly's "Up & Coming Lawyers." (Download the article covering his recognition here.)
Acted as counsel for large plastic surgery chain with offices throughout the United States that was facing liquidity issues imperiling its ability to maintain patient safeguards and manage offices. Created and implemented comprehensive plan for stabilization and wind down of the primary and affiliated business entities, while also protecting patient confidentiality and promoting transparency.
Successfully defended former CEO of a failed automotive supplier from allegations of fraud and personal liability brought by a large vendor for the failed supplier.
Successfully obtained invalidation of liens against real property held by business entities in connection with foreclosure actions filed against them.
Representation of construction tenant faced with imminent eviction due to violations by the landlord. Ultimately, obtained an additional 18 months for tenant to use premises.
Assisted restaurant owner in a Chapter 11 sale of his restaurant to a separate business entity. As a result of the sale, the business was able to keep operating and the jobs of all employees were preserved.
Successfully confirmed a Chapter 11 plan for a commercial painting business through restructuring and eliminating debts existing due to former ownership of the business.
Successful representation of a high income debtor in a motion to dismiss pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 707(a) of the Bankruptcy Code.
Representation of Chapter 7 trustees in analysis and recovery of assets, the investigation of the bankruptcy estate, and the sale of recovered assets.
Representation of property tax claimants in connection with the City of Detroit Chapter 9 bankruptcy case.
Representation of commercial landlord in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of its tenant, a court appointed receiver for a restaurant franchise owner. Negotiated continued payments through the pendency of the bankruptcy case and later negotiated termination of the lease and return of the leased premises.
News & Insights
- January 11, 2019
- Attorneys William Blasses and James DeLine Prevail at Trial on a Claim of Non-dischargeability on Behalf of a CreditorOctober 29, 2018
- September 25, 2018
- Bill Blasses to present at Consumer Bankruptcy Association Evidentiary Hearing Learning Dinner: “Evidentiary issues in bankruptcy proceedings” on October 25September 21, 2018
- September 20, 2018
- September 11, 2018
- September 7, 2018
- August 17, 2018
- The Detroit Bar Association welcomes slate of 2018-19 officers, including Joanne Swanson, president-electJuly 11, 2018
- June 24, 2018
- March 29, 2018
- William Blasses to present at Detroit Bar Association's Debtor-Creditor Rights Section Inaugural Happy Hour Event: Alternatives for Distressed CompaniesMarch 15, 2018
- February 26, 2018
- February 20, 2018
- February 16, 2018
- January 26, 2018
- January 18, 2018
- January 15, 2018
- Katherine Cser, William Blasses chosen for 2018 Detroit Bar Association Inn of Court; firm to host seriesJanuary 6, 2018
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- December 7, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- October 18, 2017
- October 10, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Daniel Beyer and William Blasses successfully defend steel mill owner and operator from employee lawsuit.September 2016