State Bar of Michigan
American Bar Association
Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
American Health Lawyers Association
American Society of Medical Association Counsel
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
Albion College, B.S.
Daniel J. Schulte
Daniel J. Schulte has more than 20 years experience representing small business owners in all aspects of transactional, operational and regulatory legal matters. A Certified Public Accountant as well as an attorney, Dan is the firm's managing partner and chair of the Health Care Practice Group.
He regularly advises and counsels concerning the formation of business entities, the preparation and review of business and corporate contracts, the purchase and sale of ownership interests in businesses and/or their assets, and the purchase, sale and leasing of real estate. A significant component of Dan’s practice involves representing healthcare professionals in state regulatory matters, including disciplinary and other licensing disputes with the State of Michigan, and federal regulatory matters including fraud and abuse issues. He also counsels on the anti-kickback and Stark laws, preparation of compliance programs, and responding to and negotiating settlements in connection with government enforcement actions.
Dan is well-known for his knowledge and experience in the area of association law, and is primarily responsible for the firm’s representation of the Michigan State Medical Society the Michigan Dental Association and the Michigan Osteopathic Association. His work related to association law includes the drafting and review of new legislation and the preparation of Amicus Curiae Briefs for filing in Michigan’s Supreme Court and Court of Appeals on a variety of topics affecting health care professionals practicing in Michigan.
Dan writes articles and presents frequently before legal, medical and business groups on a variety of topics, including HIPAA, the HITECH Act, the Stark Law, the fraud and abuse laws, health care compliance plans, business succession planning, asset protection, and estate and tax planning.
He is ranked among The Best Lawyers in America®, and has been named a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters.
$80,000,000 sale of a technology based provider of automotive owner and service information
$150,000,000 sale of a provider automotive content authoring, production and fulfillment services
Issuance of Michigan legal opinion in $135,000,000 sale of a Michigan anesthesiology practice to a national group practice
Numerous sales and buy in transactions involving Michigan physician and dental practices
News & Insights
- January 15, 2018
- January 3, 2018
- Terms to be concerned about when entering into agreements to finance or otherwise acquire an electronic medical record system, software and other technologyTRIAD - Michigan Osteopathic Association (Winter 2017)December 22, 2017
- Kerr Russell's health care practice updates advertising message for physician association publications, including MSMS' Michigan Medicine and MOA's TRIADDecember 22, 2017
- December 22, 2017
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- December 7, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- Michigan Medicine - Michigan State Medical Society (November/December 2017)November 27, 2017
- Detroit Legal News: Friday Feature: Law firm's space redesign invokes Detroit past, present, and futureNovember 17, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- November 2, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- Daniel Schulte to present "Important Considerations When Considering an Employment Agreement" at Michigan Osteopathic Association's Practice Managers Conference on November 3October 26, 2017
- October 24, 2017
- October 16, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- Consider National Practitioner Data Bank Reporting Prior to Settling Licensing Complaints and Medical Staff Peer Review ActionsMichigan Medicine - Michigan State Medical Society (September/October 2017), September 28, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Daniel Schulte contributes "Direct Claims for Payment from No-Fault Insurers" to the Michigan State Medical Society's Michigan Medicine magazineAugust 1, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Eric Lark, Brandy Mathie, Kevin Block and Dan Schulte were noted as being among the Faces of Detroit in Corporate Law in the July/August edition of Hour Detroit Magazine.Hour Detroit, August 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Daniel Schulte regularly publishes columns and educational articles in Michigan Medicine, the publication of the Michigan State Medical SocietyMichigan State Medical Society
- Daniel Schulte regularly publishes columns and educational materials in The Journal of the Michigan Dental AssociationThe Journal of the Michigan Dental Association