State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly (2007-2017, Immediate Past Chair)
State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners (2014-2017)
Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
Michigan State Bar, Antitrust, Franchising and Trade Regulation Section (Chair, 2005-2007)
State Bar of Michigan, Litigation Section
Detroit Bar Association
Veterans’ Bar Association, Detroit Chapter
American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee
American Bar Association, Business Law Section
American Bar Association, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee
Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Secretary/Treasurer
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
United States Naval Academy, B.S.
Fred K. Herrmann
Fred K. Herrmann maintains a diverse litigation and alternative dispute resolution practice across a wide range of industries. He has substantial experience in class action defense, multidistrict litigation, antitrust, patent and other intellectual property litigation, attorney and other professional liability defense, and contract disputes, as well as supply chain and other disputes implicating the Uniform Commercial Code. Fred has tried cases in state and federal courts, has filed briefs and argued cases in state and federal appellate courts, and has mediated resolutions for complex disputes on behalf of his clients. Fred is also available to serve as a neutral mediator.
Fred is a former Chair of the Representative Assembly, the final policymaking body of the State Bar of Michigan. He has also served on the Board of Commissioners of the State Bar of Michigan, and is a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation.
In the federal arena, Fred is the Vice President of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Fred is listed in Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White, Inc. for antitrust law. He was named a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation, and a “Top Lawyer” in dbusiness Magazine. He was named a 2018 "Leader in the Law" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. Download his Q&A here. Fred was named a 2019 Best Lawyers in America® "Lawyer of the Year" in antitrust law.
Prior to practicing law, and following graduation from the United States Naval Academy, Fred served as a logistics officer in the United States Marine Corps, where he deployed overseas with Second Battalion, Ninth Marines, and then served on the logistics staff of the First Marine Division. He subsequently served as a reservist with Detroit’s own First Battalion, Twenty-fourth Marines, as a logistics officer and H&S Company Commander.
Currently representing various automobile industry suppliers in In Re Auto Parts Antitrust Litigation, a group of consolidated putative class action cases pending in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan.
Secured a no cause jury verdict on behalf of a major law firm in an action alleging malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and aiding and abetting fraud, and successfully affirmed the verdict on appeal.
Secured a preliminary injunction against mandatory arbitration on behalf of a class of signatories to an unenforceable arbitration agreement.
News & Insights
- September 20, 2018
- September 11, 2018
- September 7, 2018
- August 21, 2018
- August 17, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- Eric Lark (corporate law) and Fred Herrmann (antitrust law) named Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyers of the Year" in DetroitAugust 15, 2018
- "This is the history I knew." Fred Herrmann reviews the book Death's Door by Steve Lehto for Detroit Lawyer magazineAugust 13, 2018
- Kerr Russell members Brandy Mathie and Fred Herrmann attend Matrix Human Services' 5th annual #313InTheD rooftop eventJuly 30, 2018
- April 5, 2018
- March 29, 2018
- Kerr Russell well-represented in the March/April 2018 issue of Detroit Bar Association's “Detroit Lawyer” magazineMarch 13, 2018
- ACG/TMA co-host “Women In Leadership,” a panel of leading Detroit-based female executives discussing opportunities and challenges for women; Kerr Russell a silver sponsorMarch 7, 2018
- February 26, 2018
- February 14, 2018
- January 26, 2018
- January 15, 2018
- January 3, 2018
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- Detroit Bar Association's "Jingle Mingle" held on November 30 at the Hard Rock Cafe Detroit (photos)December 2, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 21, 2017
- Matrix Human Services receives Corporate Citizen Outreach Recognition from Detroit Bar Association FoundationNovember 17, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- Kerr Russell is supporting sponsor of Original Equipment Suppliers Association Annual Conference '17October 22, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- September 28, 2017
- September 20, 2017
- September 18, 2017
- Kerr Russell Members serve in State Bar of Michigan leadership roles; plus, news about 9/27-29 State Bar NEXT ConferenceSeptember 18, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- September 5, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Fred Herrmann named Secretary/Treasurer of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of MichiganJuly 20, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- State Bar of Michigan, October 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Fred Herrmann authors "It Must be a Duck: Honoring the Attorney Professional Negligence Statute of Limitations"The Wayne Law Review General Issue: 59:1, Fall 2013