Chair, State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly
State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners
Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
Michigan State Bar, Antitrust, Franchising and Trade Regulation Section, Two-term Chair (2005-2007)
State Bar of Michigan, Litigation Section
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Veterans’ Bar Association, Detroit Chapter
American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee
American Bar Association, Business Law Section
American Bar Association, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee
Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Secretary/Treasurer
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
United States Naval Academy, B.S.
Fred K. Herrmann
Fred K. Herrmann maintains a diverse litigation practice. He has substantial experience in class action defense, multidistrict litigation, antitrust, patent and other intellectual property litigation, attorney and other professional liability defense, and contract disputes, as well as supply chain and other disputes implicating the Uniform Commercial Code. Fred has tried cases in state and federal courts, and has filed briefs and argued cases in state and federal appellate courts.
Fred has handled a wide variety of statutory and common law claims for clients including automotive industry suppliers and OEMs, computer systems manufacturers, software developers, pharmaceutical companies, dietary supplement companies, beverage manufacturers and distributors, recording industry firms, tire manufacturers, manufacturers of specialized textiles, automotive dealerships, emissions testing equipment manufacturers, oil and gas companies, NASCAR race teams, hospitals, aviation firms, banks and commercial lenders, municipalities, retailers, industrial machinery brokers, land developers, religious organizations, franchisors, wireless communications companies, accounting firms, law firms, insurance companies, and manufacturers of explosives.
Fred is the Chair of the Representative Assembly, the final policymaking body of the State Bar of Michigan. He is a member of the Board of Commissioners of the State Bar of Michigan, and a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation.
In the federal arena, Fred is the Program Chair of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Fred is listed in Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White, Inc. for Antitrust Law. He was named a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation, and a “Top Lawyer” in dbusiness Magazine.
Prior to practicing law, and following graduation from the United States Naval Academy, Fred served as a logistics officer in the United States Marine Corps for five years, including being deployed overseas with Second Battalion, Ninth Marines, an infantry battalion, and then served on the logistics staff of the First Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, California. He subsequently served as a reservist with Detroit’s own First Battalion, Twenty-fourth Marines, as a logistics officer and H&S Company Commander.
Currently representing various automobile industry suppliers in In Re Auto Parts Antitrust Litigation, a group of consolidated putative class action cases pending in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
Secured a no cause jury verdict on behalf of a major law firm in an action alleging malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and aiding and abeting fraud, and successfully affirmed the verdict on appeal
Secured a preliminary injunction against mandatory arbitration on behalf of a class of signatories to an unenforceable arbitration agreement
News & Insights
- October 2, 2017
- September 28, 2017
- September 20, 2017
- Kerr Russell Members serve in State Bar of Michigan leadership roles; plus, news about 9/27-29 State Bar NEXT ConferenceSeptember 18, 2017
- September 18, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- September 5, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Fred Herrmann named Secretary/Treasurer of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of MichiganJuly 20, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- State Bar of Michigan, October 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Fred Herrmann authors "It Must be a Duck: Honoring the Attorney Professional Negligence Statute of Limitations"The Wayne Law Review General Issue: 59:1, Fall 2013