- Automotive Industry Group
- Business and Corporate Law
- China - US Business 中美业务
- Closely Held Businesses
- Commercial Transactions
- Estate and Trust Planning and Administration
- International Business
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Profit and Charitable Organizations
- Real Estate
- Securities Law
- Shareholder / Member Disputes
State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section - Past Chairperson
State Bar of Michigan, International Law and Real Property Law Sections
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
American Bar Association, Business Law and International Law Sections
Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
Member, Civil Service Commission, City of Livonia, Michigan
Member, Executive Committee and Board, Michigan Municipal Services Authority, State of Michigan
Member, Advisory Board, Detroit Chinese Business Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, J.D.
Central Michigan University, B.S.
James R. Cambridge
James R. Cambridge has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of business law, finance, and real estate. Mr. Cambridge is co-chairperson of the firm's Business and Corporate Law practice group, and leads the firm's US-China practice. He is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Mr. Cambridge's clients have included private and public companies in the manufacturing, finance, real estate, retail, service, technology and transportation industries. His clients have also included professional athletes, corporate CEOs and other high net worth individuals. Mr. Cambridge serves as counsel for a number of businesses and handles a variety of matters such as business formations, contracts, employment, lending relationships, restructurings, real estate, buying and selling businesses and resolving troubled business situations. Mr. Cambridge has considerable experience in advising closely-held businesses. Mr. Cambridge also has experience in advising US and foreign-based companies in establishing operations in both the US and abroad.
Mr. Cambridge is a past Chairperson of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan and also served as the Chairman of the Legislative Drafting Committee of business and tax lawyers that wrote the Michigan Limited Liability Company Act.
Mr. Cambridge is frequently honored for legal excellence by his clients and other attorneys. He has been admitted as a Fellow in the Michigan State Bar Foundation, in recognition of his professionalism and community service, and he received the Outstanding Business Lawyer Award from the State Bar of Michigan’s Business Law Section. He is consistently listed in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business; Who’s Who in American Law; and The Best Lawyers in America®, Woodward/White, Inc. Mr. Cambridge has been noted as a “Michigan Super Lawyer” and being among “Detroit’s Best Lawyers” by Thomson Reuters; and is rated a “Top Lawyer” by dbusiness Magazine. He has also been named among Michigan's "Leader's in the Law" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. Mr. Cambridge has achieved AV ranking from Martindale Hubbell, reflecting the highest standards of legal ability, professional ethics and integrity.
A respected attorney and author, Mr. Cambridge lectures and publishes regularly on business law and planning. He has written numerous articles and books, including the highly regarded Michigan Limited Liability Companies. Mr. Cambridge is also a contributing author to Advising Closely Held Businesses in Michigan.
Sale of aerospace engineering company
Acquisition of automotive supplier
Formed multiple US subsidiaries of various Chinese enterprises
Formed multiple joint ventures in US, China and Mexico
Acquisition and leasing of large mixed-use real estate development
Successfully managed multi-million dollar property tax settlement
Developed legal compliance program for client
Managed several complex litigation cases to successful conclusion
Successfully negotiated resolution of shareholder dispute
Structured and drafted several complex business contracts
News & Insights
- Kerr Russell is supporting sponsor of Original Equipment Suppliers Association Annual Conference '17October 22, 2017
- Eric Lark presents the 12th annual Stephen H. Schulman Outstanding Business Lawyer Award to John R. TrentacostaOctober 2, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- dbusiness Magazine covers Kerr Russell's participation in Detroit Chinese Business Association International Golf OutingSeptember 27, 2017
- Kerr Russell team places second and scores longest drive at Detroit Chinese Business Association golf outingSeptember 19, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- James R. Cambridge and Chaoyi Ding publish article in the Michigan Bar Journal highlighting the Detroit Chinese Business AssociationNovember 2013
- James R. Cambridge and George J. Christopoulos cited by Michigan Court of Appeals in holding that de facto corporation and de facto limited liability company doctrines exist in Michigan.April 21, 2010
- James R. Cambridge, contributing author, "Advising Closely Held Business in Michigan"Institute of Continuing Legal Education, University of Michigan, (2000)