State Bar of Michigan
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
American Bar Association - Forum on the Construction Industry; Tort and Insurance Practice Section; Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
Surety and Fidelity Claims Institute
National Bond Claims Association
International Association of Defense Counsel - Construction Law and Litigation Committee; Fidelity and Surety Committee
American Arbitration Association, National Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators, Member
American Arbitration Association Large, Complex Case Panel, Member
Michigan Seniors Golf Association
Country Club of Detroit
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
St. Johns University Law School, J.D.
- with honors
Colgate University, B.A.
James R. Case
James R. Case’s practice focuses on commercial, contract, construction, and surety law.
In his construction practice, Jim has provided ongoing representation over the years for numerous design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors, owners, and suppliers in a wide range of business matters, including defense and prosecution of claims relating to damages for delay, differing site conditions, construction change directives, owner interference, design errors/omissions, and contract interpretation in connection with public and private construction projects (commercial, institutional, and industrial). In his surety practice, Jim represents sureties in large and small matters including defaults, litigation, and claims against performance and payment bonds.
Jim serves on the American Arbitration Association's National Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators, and the American Arbitration Association's Large, Complex Case Panel. As a mediator/arbitrator, Jim employs prompt and effective methods of dispute resolution. He has served on numerous arbitration and mediation panels since 1988 and regularly attends alternative dispute resolution continuing education and training. He has mediated and arbitrated construction cases involving delay damages, failure to perform, owner interference, design errors/omissions, differing site conditions, construction change directives, payment disputes, and contract interpretation.
Jim has presented papers, articles and speeches at numerous seminars and events in Michigan and nationally for the Surety Claims Institute; ABA Forum on the Construction Industry; Trial Practice Program at the IADC Fidelity & Surety Midwinter Meetings; Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan; National Business Institute, Inc.; National Electrical Contractors Association; Builders Institute of America; and the Engineering Society of Detroit.
Jim was ranked among The Best Lawyers in America®, by Woodward/White, Inc.; was named a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters; and was rated a “Top Lawyer” by dbusiness Magazine.
News & Insights
- December 12, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- October 21, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- Kerr Russell team places second and scores longest drive at Detroit Chinese Business Association golf outingSeptember 19, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- Jim Case and Mike Carroll featured in Associated General Contractors of America's Constructor MagazineAugust 24, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Half Moon SeminarRecent Developments in Michigan Design Professional MalpracticeMarch 5, 2008
- Homeward Bound SeriesDamage RemediesInstitute of Continuing Legal Education, December 6, 2007
- Surety Claims Institute Annual Meeting and SeminarViod Ab Initio: The Right of the Construction Surety to Rescind Fraudulently or Mistakenly Issued BondsJune 22-24, 2005
- The Design/Build Deskbook Second Edition - The Complete Guide to Design/Build Contracting, Licensing, Insurance and Procurement Requirements in the 50 States and Canada"Michigan" ChapterABA Forum on the Construction Industry, American Bar Association, (2000)
- When to Hold and When to Fold: Practical Advice on Recurring Construction IssuesDelegation of Design Responsibility: Facts and FablesAmerican Bar Association Forumon the Construction Industry 1999 Annual Meeting, April 29 / 30, 1999
- Construction Lien Law and Strategies in MichiganConstruction Contracts and Construction Liens - The Payment ProcessNational Business Institute, (1998)
- Michigan Construction Law Course HandbookPerformance Delay and DamagesReal Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan and the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 14, 1997
- Michigan Construction Law: What Do You Do When...?Bids and Errors, What You Do When the Contract is Changed and What to Do When the Other Party Threatens to Terminate the ContractNational Business Institute, (1996)
- Construction Law: Contracts, Disputes & Resolutions Course HandbookDamagesReal Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan and Institute of Continuing Legal Education, October 19 / 26, 1989