Turnaround Management Association - President (2016-17), Board of Directors, Detroit Chapter (2012 – present)
American Bankruptcy Institute
Federal Bar Association
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan - Business Law Section
Rules Advisory Committee, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Eastern District of Michigan
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Foundation, Fellow
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Bronze Key Certificate
University of Michigan, A.B.
Jason W. Bank
Jason W. Bank has 20 years of experience in bankruptcy and restructuring law. He focuses his practice in the areas of commercial bankruptcy, out-of-court workouts, corporate restructuring and creditors’ rights. Jason is the chair of the firm's Bankruptcy and Restructuring Department.
Jason has successfully guided numerous businesses through out-of-court restructurings and Chapter 11 reorganizations. He has negotiated resolutions of complex financial issues and achieved consensual restructurings of creditor claims while avoiding bankruptcy or litigation. Where necessary, Jason has filed Chapter 11 petitions on behalf of businesses to protect their assets and operations. He has helped to reorganize businesses in a wide variety of industries, including automotive, health care, retail, construction, education, real estate, sports and entertainment. In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Jason provides general legal counsel to numerous small to middle market businesses and business owners.
Jason has considerable experience representing debtors, creditors’ committees, trustees, receivers and a wide variety of creditors in bankruptcy, receiverships, bankruptcy-related litigation, out-of-court restructurings and loan workouts. He has assisted numerous parties with buying and selling assets out of bankruptcy. Jason also has represented multiple parties in bankruptcy-related litigation, including prosecuting and successfully defending preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance actions.
In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Jason provides general legal counsel and advice to numerous small- and middle-market businesses and business owners. He also assists businesses and individuals with resolution of tax collection disputes.
Jason has served as an adjunct professor of law at the Michigan State University College of Law on the subject of Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. Jason is the current President of the Detroit Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and has served on the TMA’s Board of Directors since 2012. He frequently lectures to professional and trade associations, and publishes on the subjects of bankruptcy and restructuring, including Chapter 9 bankruptcy and debt and contract restructuring for municipalities.
Jason has been recognized as a "Michigan Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters and was named one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Michigan by this publication. He was named a “Top Lawyer” by dBusiness Magazine in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights. He was recently named a Fellow by the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Foundation.
Lead counsel for successful Chapter 11 reorganization of Treetops Resort, a golf, ski and spa resort in Gaylord, Michigan
Completed successful Chapter 11 reorganization of a healthcare services business, with the consent of all major creditors
Completed successful Chapter 11 reorganization of local child care and learning center, thereby preserving jobs and child care services for over 100 families
Successfully defended three parties in fraudulent conveyance actions brought by a bankruptcy trustee by obtaining settlement for a small fraction of the amounts sought in the Complaint.
Lead counsel for successful Chapter 11 reorganization of an aviation shuttle business that restructured its balance sheet to enable it to operate profitably upon emergence from bankruptcy
Assisted small business owner with liquidation of distressed real estate portfolio and release of personal guarantees through settlements with lenders. Protected personal and business assets while avoiding bankruptcy
Lead counsel for four entertainment centers that completed a Chapter 11 sale of businesses and underlying real estate, which kept the businesses operating and preserved jobs
Representation of creditor/landowner in Chapter 11 sale of large automotive dealership
Obtained authority for creditor to file $14 million claim after bar date had passed in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case
Representation of state-court appointed receivers in connection with liquidation of auto supplier and fuel jobber
Lead counsel in out of court restructuring involving sale of distressed golf course and protection of related construction business that guaranteed the debt
Representation of creditor in objection to bankruptcy discharge of business owner resulting in a significant settlement
Representation of trade creditors in City of Detroit Chapter 9 bankruptcy
News & Insights
- March 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- “Legal Update - "Second Circuit Pumps Brakes on General Motors and "Free and Clear" Asset Sales" – By Jason W. Bank, Chair of Kerr Russell’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice.August 2016
- Jason W. Bank has been elected as President of the Detroit Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and will serve from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017.June 2016
- Jason W. Bank and Kerr Russell receive “Real Estate Deal of the Year” Award from the M&A Advisor for their work in the successful reorganization of Treetops Resorts.February 2016
- Jason W. Bank serves on panel for Seminar on "Amendments to Local Rules of Eastern District of Michigan Bankruptcy Court" presented by the Bankruptcy Court and the Debtor/Creditor Rights Committee of the Business Law Section of the State BarJanuary 2016
- Crain's Detroit, January 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Jason W. Bank has been elected president-elect of the Detroit Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (“TMA”).The Turnaround Management Association is a global non-profit organization comprised of turnaround and corporate renewal professionals with more than 9,300 members in 50 chapters, including 31 in North America., June 2015
- Jason W. Bank is serving as a panelist for Chapter 11 Roundtable - Enhancing Debtors’ Potential for Success in Small to Medium Size Chapter 11 Cases - Part IMarch 16, 2015
- Jason W. Bank is currently serving as a member of the Local Rules Advisory Committee and assisting with the drafting of revised Local Rules for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.February 2015
- Jason W. Bank was a panelist for the Eastern District of Michigan Bankruptcy Court presentation - "Chapter 11 Roundtable - Enhancing Debtors' Potential for Success in Small to Medium Size Chapter 11 Cases"October 10, 2014
- Michigan Trial Defense Counsel Quarterly, July 2014
- Jason W. Bank authors, "Navigating Financial Turbulence; Preserving Air Carrier Certificates in Chapter 11"American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, June 2014
- Jason Bank and Mark Knoth both speak at the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Annual Conference "Business Law: Learning from the Past, Navigating the Future"May 2014
- Jason Bank has been elected to the Board of Directors for the Detroit Chapter of the Turnaround Management AssociationJanuary 11, 2014
- Jason W. Bank discusses maximizing bankruptcy recoveries for creditors and protection for debtors at recent meetings of Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys and Public Corporation Law Section of State Bar of MichiganDecember 29, 2013
- November 2013
- Risk Management Association East Michigan, Fall 2013 Newletter
- The Legal News publishes article "MSU Adjunct Professor Knows "Chapter," Verse", highlighting Kerr Russell attorney, Jason Bank, who is also an adjunct professor at Michigan State University, College of Law, teaching about Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganizaMay 27, 2013
- Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Spring/Summer 2011
- Small Business Chapter 11 - Reorganizing the American DreamSpeaker23rd FBA Summer Conference - Federal Bar Association (Western District of Michigan), July 2011
- Jason W. Bank spoke at the 23rd Annual Federal Bar association Summer Conference (Western District of Michigan) regarding "Small Business Chapter 11 - Reorganizing the American Dream"July 2011
- Turning Lemons into Lemonade - How to Maximize Recoveries in Bankruptcy for Local GovernmentSpeakerSummer Conference, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, June 2011
- Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Spring/Summer 2011
- Jason W. Bank spoke at the Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Summer Conference regarding "Turning Lemons into Lemonade How to Maximize Recoveries in Bankruptcy for Local Government"June 2010
- Quoted - New York Post, on the topic of Chrysler's bankruptcy filingNew York Post, May 1, 2009