American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section
American Bar Association, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section
American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Women Advocate Committee
Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan, Appellate Practice Section Council
State Bar of Michigan, Past Chair, Antitrust, Franchise & Trade Regulation Section
State Bar of Michigan, Negligence Section
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, Board of Directors
Washtenaw County Bar Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the District of Utah
Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- cum laude
Michigan State University, B.A.
Joanne Geha Swanson
Joanne Geha Swanson has more than 30 years of experience as a litigator and appellate attorney. Her civil litigation practice primarily involves complex commercial disputes, antitrust, class actions, business torts, legal malpractice and other related matters.
Joanne also devotes a significant percentage of her professional time to state and federal appellate practice involving issues across the spectrum of subject areas, including insurance disputes, constitutional challenges, questions of statutory interpretation, business torts, commercial disputes, medical and legal malpractice, real estate disputes, and civil procedural questions.
She has authored numerous published articles related to her areas of practice, and she has lectured on topics related to litigation and the appeals process. She contributed the Michigan chapter to the recently published Practitioner's Guide to Class Actions, 2nd edition from the ABA's Tort Insurance and Trial Practice Section. She also served on the editorial board for the book. Swanson wrote the Michigan chapter and served on the editorial board for the first edition, as well.
Joanne is the Past Chair of the State Bar of Michigan's Antitrust, Franchise & Trade Regulation Section. She is a current Council Member of the Appellate Practice Section of the State Bar of Michigan and a member of the Detroit Bar Association Board of Directors. She chairs the editorial board of the Detroit Bar Association’s Detroit Lawyer magazine. On September 29, Joanne as the chair-elect of the Appellate Practice Section assumed leadership as chair at the Section’s Annual Meeting (State Bar NEXT Conference, Cobo). She moderated the Annual Meeting program that was sponsored by the Appellate Practice Section.
Joanne is listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Woodward/White, Inc.; was named a “Best Michigan Attorney”; honored by Corporate Counsel Magazine as a “Super Lawyer”; and selected by dbusiness Magazine as a “Top Lawyer.” She has been ranked as a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters. She also received the Thomas M. Cooley Law School Distinguished Brief Award. She was just named a 2017 Super Lawyer in Civil Litigation Defense (named every year since 2006), and she received the 2018 Best Lawyers Litigation – Antitrust “Lawyer of the Year” for Metro Detroit. Only a single lawyer in each practice area and community is honored with a "Lawyer of the Year" award. She was also named a 2017 dBusiness Magazine Top Lawyer: Appellate, Litigation - Antitrust (5th consecutive year; 6th overall recognition). She is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Joanne is a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and the Detroit Bar Association Foundation. She was recognized by Crain's Detroit Business as one of their Notable Women Lawyers in Michigan - 2017.
News & Insights
- January 26, 2018
- Appellate decision: Services rendered to clients located outside the city by an attorney working in the city are not taxable as in-city servicesJanuary 19, 2018
- January 3, 2018
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 21, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- Kerr Russell hosts Inforum's Downtown Detroit Luncheon Affinity Group to capacity crowd on November 8November 8, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- October 20, 2017
- Joanne Swanson writes Michigan chapter of ABA Tort Insurance and Trial Practice Section's "A Practitioner's Guide to Class Actions, 2nd Edition"October 19, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- September 28, 2017
- Kerr Russell Members serve in State Bar of Michigan leadership roles; plus, news about 9/27-29 State Bar NEXT ConferenceSeptember 18, 2017
- September 12, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Michigan Bar Journal, January 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Joanne Swanson is a contributor to the Women Advocates Committee Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association Newsletter
- Joanne Swanson authored the Michigan Chapter of, "A Practitioner's Guide to Class Actions" for the American Bar Association2010