State Bar of Michigan
American Bar Association
Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants, Chair of the Mergers & Acquisition Task Force, Member of Curriculum Task Force
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Trustee/Treasurer Grosse Ile Township School District
Board Member/Treasurer of The Guidance Center
Bar & Court Admissions
Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- cum laude
- Order of the Coif
University of Michigan, B.A.
- with high honors
John D. Gatti
John D. Gatti has more than 20 years of experience in business law and the laws of taxation. A Certified Public Accountant as well as an attorney, John concentrates his practice in the areas of taxation, mergers and acquisitions, business law, real estate law, and estate planning. He chairs the firm’s Taxation Practice Group.
John regularly advises clients in a variety of areas including mergers and acquisitions, business formations, succession planning, real estate, joint ventures and general corporate matters.
He has extensive experience involving a variety of federal, state and multi-state income and franchise tax issues relating to corporate, partnership and limited liability company acquisitions, dispositions and restructurings. John advises on a wide range of tax issues including Subchapters C, K and S, consolidated returns, income tax accounting and captive insurance companies.
John currently sits on the Board of Directors and serves as Treasurer for The Guidance Center in addition to acting as Treasurer and Trustee for the Grosse Ile Township school district.
Prior to joining the firm, John served at a nationally recognized accounting firm specializing in the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and provided tax advice to clients in various industries including the automotive, transportation, publishing, food manufacturing and health care segments.
Purchases and sales of automotive suppliers
Sale of various divisions of durable medical equipment retailer
Sale of a food manufacturing company
Establishment of joint ventures for manufacturers
News & Insights
- Kerr Russell receives consecutive awards from The M&A Advisor: John Gatti and Mike Gibson receive 2016 “Materials Deal of the Year” AwardJanuary 2017
- dBusiness Magazine, November 2016
- Best Lawyers, September 2016
- Kerr Russell, John D. Gatti and Michael D. Gibson named finalists by M&A Advisor for Restructuring Deal of the year Award.M&A Advisor, August 2016
- John Gatti presented “Tax Implications of Exit Strategies for Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs” at the Michigan Association of CPAs Small Practitioners Monthly Meeting Group on April 25, 2016.April 25, 2016
- John Gatti presents "Tax Implications of Exit Strategies for Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs" to the Michigan Association of CPA's Northern Macomb County.November 20, 2014
- John D. Gatti was recognized by Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants for his service as Chair of Mergers & Acquisitions Task Force.October 3, 2014
- John D. Gatti and Kerr Russell acted as legal counsel to Bosco's Pizza Co. in connection with the sale of Bosco to Tyson Foods. Tyson Foods buys Warren-based Bosco's Pizza, makers of Bosco SticksDetroit Free Press, January 20, 2014
- John Gatti presents "Basis and Equity Based Compensation Issues" to the Michigan Association of Certified Public AccountantsNovember 27, 2012 and January 17, 2013
- John D. Gatti appointed Chairman of the Mergers & Acquisitions Task Force for Michigan Association of Certified Public AccountantsOctober 1, 2012
- John Gatti presents "Tax and Accounting Issues Related to Coverting to and from an S Corporation" for the Michigan Association of Certified Public AccountantsJune 7, 2012 and August 24, 2012
- John Gatti conducted a session on Accounting Issues in Subchapter S Conversions at the Accounting for the Tax Practitioner ConferenceJune 7, 2012
- John Gatti presents "Drafting Partnership and Operating Agreement for Substantial Economic Effect" for the Michgian Association of Certified Public AccountantsDecember 14, 2011
- John D. Gatti appointed Vice Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Task Force for Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants.October 1, 2010
- John Gatti presents "Choice of Entity" tot he Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants2010
- John Gatti presents "Partnership Tax Update" to UHY, LLPJune 16, 2009
- John D. Gatti addresses participants at the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants Conference on Choice of Business Entity issuesSummer 2008
- Michigan Tax Lawyer, Summer 2006