State Bar of Michigan, former Chair of the Antitrust, Franchise and Trade Regulation Section
American Bar Association
Order of the Coif, Wayne State University Chapter
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Marianne O. Battani, United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Legal Intern for the Honorable John Corbett O’Meara, United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Wayne Law Review Assistant Editor
- Dean’s Scholar
- Silver and Bronze Key Certificate Recipient for academic excellence
- Max Smitt Scholarship 2004 in recognition of high academic achievement.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.S.
Matthew L. Powell
Matthew L. Powell practices in the areas of litigation and general business law, with an emphasis on complex commercial litigation. Matthew has assisted in matters related to representing clients in antitrust class action lawsuits. He also regularly represents clients in a wide range of commercial disputes including automotive supplier litigation, closely held corporation shareholder litigation, individuals facing business tort claims, and tax appeals before the Michigan Tax Tribunal.
Matthew has also collaborated in advising business clients with regard to compliance with federal regulations in the health care and financial industries, as well as advising clients regarding compliance with federal labor laws. Matthew also has assisted in corporate and limited liability company formation including the preparation of articles of organization and incorporation, bylaws, and related corporate governance documents.
Prior to attending law school, Matthew worked as an architect in Illinois for two years.
Represented foreign automotive suppliers in high-profile federal antitrust investigations, including conducting client interviews and cooperating with national counsel in the preparation and filing of motions
Represented mortgage company in high-profile federal trial, including trial preparation, settlement negotiations, litigation and motion practice, discovery, legal research, and drafting numerous motions
Represented individual in breach of contract and business tort case, winning dismissal of claims at the initial pleading stage
Represented minority shareholder in arbitration and litigation, including analysis of multiple shareholder agreements, legal research, and drafting numerous motions and memoranda
Advised mortgage loan originator regarding compliance with numerous federal regulations, governing shared ownership of a wealth management company and an insurance broker
Collaborated in the preparation of position statements for employers, including performing legal research, reviewing NLRB inquiries, and drafting required position statements
Collaborated in advising large corporation on the purchase of a business, including analysis of federal regulations governing Medicare and Medicaid relating to durable medical equipment, the transfer of billing numbers, and successorship liability
Represented individual in purchase of investment property, including formation of limited liability company, drafting purchase agreement, and deed
News & Insights
- January 15, 2018
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- October 6, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- August 22, 2017
- August 10, 2017