State Bar of Michigan
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Florida Bar Association
American Bar Association
Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Michigan Seniors Golf Association, Board of Governors
Bar & Court Admissions
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D.
- Dewitt C. Holbrook Scholar
Boston College, M.B.A
Xavier University, B.A.
Michael D. Gibson
Michael D. Gibson has more than 30 years of experience in all aspects of business and corporate law. A Certified Public Accountant as well as an attorney, and also co-chairs the firm’s Business & Corporate Law Practice Group as well as the China Practice Group.
Michael represents commercial business enterprises in a range of industries, including auto suppliers, healthcare entities and construction contractors. He provides assistance with corporate agreements (shareholder, franchise, consulting, confidentiality, non-compete, employment, sales representative, severance, termination, sales terms and conditions); banking related documents; leases and purchases of real estate; joint ventures; entity formation; bylaws; corporate governance issues; license and operating agreements; securities law and SEC filings. Michael represents U.S.-based businesses as well as entities headquartered in Europe and China
A particular strength of Michael’s practice is in the area of corporate mergers and acquisitions, including mergers with publicly traded companies, reverse mergers into public corporations, PIPE transactions, management buyouts of divisions and subsidiaries of private and public companies, the sale and purchase of family owned entities and purchase and sale of troubled companies in workout situations. His work on these projects includes entity structure, drafting of all pertinent documents, legal due diligence, securities filings and consultation with clients as to strategy and negotiations.
Michael also works closely with individuals and corporate clients in the estate and family planning context. This includes analysis and consultation regarding usage of wills, trusts, family limited partnerships, family LLCs, gifting, charitable foundations and trusts, corporate transition planning and structuring, insurance trusts, life insurance, annuities, self-canceling installment notes, and discussions with families and corporations on the practical aspects of financial tools.
Michael was named a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters.
Represented a family-owned home products business in an $85,000,000 sale of stock to a NYSE company.
Represented a Chinese auto manufacturing company related to the acquisition of controlling interest in a U.S.-based auto parts company with an enterprise value of $100,000,000.
Represented a Chinese auto manufacturing company related to a $51,000,000 acquisition of a U.S.-based auto parts company.
Represented an executive with a net worth of $50,000,000 related to all aspects of his estate planning, including establishing generation skipping trusts.
Represented a U.S.-based healthcare company related to establishing a consulting relationship with a Chinese based company
News & Insights
- February 26, 2018
- February 14, 2018
- Kerr Russell a gold sponsor of Detroit Chinese Business Association's Chinese New Year Gala, March 10February 12, 2018
- Kerr Russell is a Wagner Circle sponsor of Community Living Centers' signature event: Celebrity Chefs DinnerFebruary 12, 2018
- January 26, 2018
- January 24, 2018
- January 15, 2018
- Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of MichiganDecember 18, 2017
- December 12, 2017
- December 4, 2017
- December 1, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- Detroit Legal News covers Detroit Chinese Business Association recognition of Kerr Russell, and Jim Cambridge on ChinaDaily.com (Michigan trade group spurs China-US ties)November 17, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- November 11, 2017
- Michael Gibson presents, James Cambridge and Chaoyi Ding network at second day of Detroit Chinese Business Association Auto ExpoNovember 8, 2017
- Kerr Russell, James Cambridge recognized as Sponsor of the Year by the Detroit Chinese Business AssociationNovember 7, 2017
- November 3, 2017
- Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areasNovember 1, 2017
- October 23, 2017
- Kerr Russell is supporting sponsor of Original Equipment Suppliers Association Annual Conference '17October 22, 2017
- October 21, 2017
- October 13, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- Eric Lark and Mike Gibson present at first annual Perspectives conference, organized by Doeren Mayhew and ComericaOctober 2, 2017
- Kerr Russell team places second and scores longest drive at Detroit Chinese Business Association golf outingSeptember 19, 2017
- September 13, 2017
- September 6, 2017
- August 21, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- Kerr Russell receives consecutive awards from The M&A Advisor: John Gatti and Mike Gibson receive 2016 “Materials Deal of the Year” AwardJanuary 2017
- Kerr, Russell, Rich Buslepp and Michael D. Gibson receive "Materials Deal of the Year" Award from The M&A AdvisorNovember 2016
- Kerr Russell, John D. Gatti and Michael D. Gibson named finalists by M&A Advisor for Restructuring Deal of the year Award.M&A Advisor, August 2016
- July 2016
- February 2016
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- Michael Gibson co-author, "Spousal Remainder Trusts More Effective Than Interest-Free Loans or Clifford Trusts"13 Taxation for Lawyers 260, March/April 1985
- Michael Gibson co-authors "Tax Focus of Employee Stock Incentive Programs Changed as a Result of Tax Reform Act of 1986"40 Taxation for Accountants 86, February 1988