State Bar of Michigan
Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Member, Board of Directors and Past President
Federal Bar Foundation, Trustee
Past Chair, Oakland County Bar Tax Committee
Past Board Chair and Trustee, Academy of Sacred Heart (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
American Board of Criminal Lawyers, Member
- Judicial clerk to the Honorable June L. Green, United States District Judge for the District of Columbia
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Claims
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
Northwestern University, B.S.
Robert E. Forrest
Robert E. Forrest has extensive experience in litigating civil and criminal tax controversies with the federal and state governments, as well as the litigation of complex commercial disputes. He also has participated in numerous administrative and regulatory investigations involving other agencies of the federal and state governments.
Robert primarily represents both large and small corporations, their officers, and business professionals in difficult tax and criminal matters.
Robert previously served as a trial attorney for the Criminal Section, Tax Division, United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., from 1975 until 1981, where he was responsible for reviewing and prosecuting criminal tax cases throughout the country. He received an Outstanding Attorney Award from the Justice Department’s Tax Division in 1979.
Robert is the author of many articles and publications, and served as an Adjunct Professor of Taxation at the University of Detroit Mercy, School of Law. He also was named a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters and a Michigan "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine.
News & Insights
- Robert E. Forrest authors "New Internal Revenue Code Provision Permits Revocation or Denial of Passport for Certain Taxpayers with Tax Debts"January 2016
- Thomson Reuters, December 16, 2015
- dBusiness Magazine, December 16, 2015
- April 11, 2015
- January 2014
- Oakland County Bar Association's Laches magazine, April 2013
- Robert E. Forrest was the speaker at the American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants Michigan Chapter Meeting discussing disciplinary proceedings undertaken by the IRS Office of Professional ResponsibilityMarch 13, 2013
- Robert Forrest authors "Pitfalls to Avoid in Taxation of Judgments and Settlements"Macomb County Bar Journal, January 2005
- Robert Forrest authors "Attorneys - Still A Target for the IRS"Laches - Oakland County Bar Journal, April 2000