News & Insights
- Patrick J. Haddad presented Eye Care and Scope of Practice: Licensing, Ethical and Liability Issues for Ophthalmologists at the Michigan Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons' 47th Annual Conference Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island
- Patrick J. Haddad authored "Prescription and Tax Fraud: What Physicians Need to Know About Identity Theft."
- Daniel Schulte regularly publishes columns and educational articles in Michigan Medicine, the publication of the Michigan State Medical Society
- Daniel Schulte regularly publishes columns and educational materials in The Journal of the Michigan Dental Association
- "What Dental Professionals need to Know for Tactical Business Management" symposium in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Webinar regarding "Avoiding Medical Malpractice - Basics for Doctors" for ExecSense, Inc.
- Wayne State University School of Physical Therapy Presenter regarding "Malpractice in the Real World"
- Michigan State Medical Society Risk Management Seminar Presenter
- Special Focus Group Radiological Society of North America Conference Presenter regarding Pros and Cons of Expert Testimony
- Oakland County Bar Association State of the Law Day Presenter
- Annapolis Hospital Risk Management Symposium Presenter
- Patrick Haddad co-authors "HIPAA and Its Impact on Michigan's Health Professionals"
Related Focus Areas
Health Care Law
Kerr Russell’s experience in the field of health care law spans more than 60 years. In that time, and in representing a multitude of health care professionals and providers, our attorneys have developed uncommon insight into the relationships among physicians, insurers, health facilities and patients.
Our attorneys counsel physicians, hospitals and other health care providers, managed care interests, durable medical equipment providers, major groups in organized medicine, and medical staffs. We also counsel assisted living centers, nursing homes and homes for the aged. Our representation of health care clients also includes administrative proceedings, and licensure and litigation services. Additionally, a particular strength of our practice concerns the formation and representation of alternative risk transfer entities for health care clients, including captive insurance companies, risk retention groups and other alternative insurance structures.
Our legal services include:
- Antitrust counseling in health care mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Certificate of Need
- Compliance with anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, self-disclosure, Stark HIPAA, and other health care compliance statutes
- Compliance plans
- Contracting with insurers, medical/dental plans, managed care plans and Accountable Care Organizations
- Corporate Integrity Agreements
- Corporate practice of medicine, including corporate and retail medical clinic formation
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)
- Financing transactions
- Health care facility and professional license and accreditation matters
- Hospital and medical staff matters
- Licensing and disciplinary matters
- Long-term care facility matters
- Medical staff matters
- Medicare and Medicaid provider and supplier enrollment, certification and compliance
- Merger and acquisition transactions
- Reimbursement, billing and claims, and third-party payor and payment matters
- Risk retention groups, captive insurance companies and other alternative risk transfer entities
- Physician Organizations and Physician Hospital Organizations
- Post payment audits
- Professional, facility and institutional liability and risk management
- Peer review
- Skilled nursing facility certification and survey compliance
- Michigan Medical Records Act