News & Insights
- John Gatti presented “Tax Implications of Exit Strategies for Corporations, Partnerships and LLCs” at the Michigan Association of CPAs Small Practitioners Monthly Meeting Group on April 25, 2016.
- John Gatti presents "Basis and Equity Based Compensation Issues" to the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- John Gatti presents "Tax and Accounting Issues Related to Coverting to and from an S Corporation" for the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- John Gatti presents "Drafting Partnership and Operating Agreement for Substantial Economic Effect" for the Michgian Association of Certified Public Accountants
- John Gatti presents "Choice of Entity" tot he Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- John Gatti presents "Partnership Tax Update" to UHY, LLP
- Robert Forrest authors "Pitfalls to Avoid in Taxation of Judgments and Settlements"
- Robert Forrest authors "Attorneys - Still A Target for the IRS"
- Michael Gibson co-author, "Spousal Remainder Trusts More Effective Than Interest-Free Loans or Clifford Trusts"
- Michael Gibson co-authors "Tax Focus of Employee Stock Incentive Programs Changed as a Result of Tax Reform Act of 1986"
Related Focus Areas
Kerr Russell is recognized for proficiency in the laws of taxation at the federal, state and local levels. Many of our attorneys are Certified Public Accountants, and/or hold Master of Law degrees in taxation (LL.M.). Our reputation stems from this advanced education and knowledge, and our experience in anticipating, evaluating and identifying potential tax liabilities, as well as opportunities, that may affect our clients’ bottom line.
We assist a diverse range of clients, from service providers to capital-oriented businesses. The hallmark of our Taxation Practice resides in planning efficiently to align with our clients’ business and personal goals, while maintaining compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. Our attorneys are regularly involved in minimizing corporate taxes and penalties through negotiation or litigation where necessary; reducing estate taxes through thoughtful plan design; and handling all aspects of business and personal tax issues.
Our services include:
- Planning and structuring mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and liquidations
- Tax dispute negotiation and litigation (both civil and criminal) with the IRS and state and local governmental units
- Planning and structuring of joint ventures and development projects
- Corporate, partnership, limited liability company and personal tax planning
- Executive compensation and employee incentive planning
- Personal estate planning
- Exempt status qualification and maintenance
- Tax abatements
- Tax-exempt industrial revenue bond financing
- Structured settlement analysis
- Reporting, returns and compliance
- International tax issues