Fred K. Herrmann maintains a diverse litigation and alternative dispute resolution practice across a wide range of industries.
Fred has substantial experience in class action defense, multidistrict litigation, antitrust, patent and other intellectual property litigation, attorney and other professional liability defense, and contract disputes, as well as supply chain and other disputes implicating the Uniform Commercial Code. Fred has tried cases in state and federal courts, has filed briefs and argued cases in state and federal appellate courts, and has mediated resolutions for complex disputes on behalf of his clients. Fred is also available to serve as a neutral mediator.
Fred is a former Chair of the Representative Assembly, the final policy-making body of the State Bar of Michigan. He has also served on the Board of Commissioners of the State Bar of Michigan, and is a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation.
In the federal arena, Fred is the Vice President of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Fred is listed in Best Lawyers in America© by Woodward/White, Inc. for antitrust law. He was named a Michigan “Super Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation, and a “Top Lawyer” in DBusiness magazine. He was named a 2018 “Leader in the Law” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly. Download his Q&A here. Fred was named a 2019 Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” in antitrust law.
Prior to practicing law, and following graduation from the United States Naval Academy, Fred served as a logistics officer in the United States Marine Corps, where he deployed overseas with Second Battalion, Ninth Marines, and then served on the logistics staff of the First Marine Division. He subsequently served as a reservist with Detroit’s own First Battalion, Twenty-fourth Marines, as a logistics officer and H&S Company Commander.
Click here for “Of Interest” profile of Fred written by his Kerr Russell colleague Joanne Swanson for the State Bar of Michigan magazine.
- State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly 2007-2017, Past Chair
- State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners (2014-2017)
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Michigan State Bar, Antitrust, Franchising and Trade Regulation Section (Chair, 2005-2007)
- State Bar of Michigan, Litigation Section
- Detroit Bar Association
- Veterans’ Bar Association, Detroit Chapter
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- American Bar Association, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Vice President
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law
- United States Naval Academy, B.S.
Insights & News
April 3, 2019
September 20, 2018
September 11, 2018
September 7, 2018
August 17, 2018
August 15, 2018
Eric Lark (corporate law) and Fred Herrmann (antitrust law) named Best Lawyers® 2019 "Lawyers of the Year" in Detroit
August 15, 2018
July 30, 2018
Kerr Russell members Brandy Mathie and Fred Herrmann attend Matrix Human Services' 5th annual #313InTheD rooftop event
April 5, 2018
March 29, 2018
March 7, 2018
ACG/TMA co-host “Women In Leadership,” a panel of leading Detroit-based female executives discussing opportunities and challenges for women; Kerr Russell a silver sponsor
February 26, 2018
February 14, 2018
January 26, 2018
January 15, 2018
January 3, 2018
December 18, 2017
Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of Michigan
December 2, 2017
Detroit Bar Association's "Jingle Mingle" held on November 30 at the Hard Rock Cafe Detroit (photos)
November 30, 2017
November 21, 2017
November 17, 2017
Matrix Human Services receives Corporate Citizen Outreach Recognition from Detroit Bar Association Foundation
November 16, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 1, 2017
Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areas
September 18, 2017
September 12, 2017
September 5, 2017
August 21, 2017
August 21, 2017
August 10, 2017
November 7, 2016
November 1, 2016
October 22, 2016
July 1, 2013