Jim focuses his practice in the defense of health care professionals and facilities in malpractice claims.
An experienced litigator, Jim has successfully represented medical and legal professionals in state and federal court for more than 30 years. He has served as defense counsel for doctors, hospitals, medical facilities and attorneys across the state of Michigan. Having tried more than 60 cases across the state and in federal courts, Jim is highly regarded among the legal community. He has made presentations at Oakwood Hospital and Beaumont Hospital on informed consent, medical documentation, and best practices to avoid litigation.
Jim also works with municipalities in matters related to government liability, zoning and land use issues, regulatory challenges and building ordinances, including acting as defense counsel during litigation. He often writes and speaks on municipal law matters, including seminars sponsored by the Michigan Municipal League, Michigan Townships Association, the National League of Cities, Michigan Society of Planning Officials and The Government Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan.
Jim has written numerous publications including the following:
- Co-authored the Michigan Municipal Law chapter on Liability of Local Government and Local Officials, published by ICLE,
- Co-authored the Handbook for Municipal Attorneys in Michigan for the Michigan Municipal League/Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, 1990-91, and
- Co-authored the article, “ Measure of Damages in Regulatory Takings Cases,” published in Laches, Oakland County Bar Journal.
Jim has consistently been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2008, and is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He has also repeatedly been recognized by Best Lawyers in America. Jim was invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates in 2003 and previously served as President of the Michigan chapter.
For the past several years he has participated in “Civility Matters” programs at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and Wayne State University Law School, where he is teaching law students the importance of civility and professionalism.
He obtained his law degree, cum laude, from University of Detroit, and his undergraduate degree from Wayne State University.
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Municipal Law Committee, Past Chairperson
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Government Law Section, Board Member and Past Chairperson
- Real Property Law Section, Member
- Zoning and Land Use Committee, Member
- American Bar Association
- Section of Urban, Member
- State and Local Government Law, Member
- Health Law Section, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, National Board Member
- Michigan Chapter, Past President
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Alumni Board of Directors
Bar and Court Admissions
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- Michigan Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- University of Detroit School of Law, J.D.
- cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.P.A
- with distinction
Insights & News
April 2, 2020