Jim focuses his practice in the defense of health care professionals and facilities in malpractice claims.
An experienced litigator, Jim has successfully represented medical and legal professionals in state and federal court for more than 30 years. He has served as defense counsel for doctors, hospitals, medical facilities and attorneys across the state of Michigan. Having tried more than 60 cases across the state and in federal courts, Jim is highly regarded among the legal community. He has made presentations at Oakwood Hospital and Beaumont Hospital on informed consent, medical documentation, and best practices to avoid litigation.
Jim also works with municipalities in matters related to government liability, zoning and land use issues, regulatory challenges and building ordinances, including acting as defense counsel during litigation. He often writes and speaks on municipal law matters, including seminars sponsored by the Michigan Municipal League, Michigan Townships Association, the National League of Cities, Michigan Society of Planning Officials and The Government Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan.
Jim has consistently been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© and was named “Lawyer of the Year” for Medical Malpractice in Troy for 2021. He has also repeatedly been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2008, and is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Jim was invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates in 2003 and previously served as President of the Michigan chapter.
For the past several years he has participated in “Civility Matters” programs at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and Wayne State University Law School, where he is teaching law students the importance of civility and professionalism.
He obtained his law degree, cum laude, from University of Detroit, and his undergraduate degree from Wayne State University.
- “Liability of Local Government and Local Officials” chapter for Michigan Municipal Law, published by ICLE
- Handbook for Municipal Attorneys in Michigan for the Michigan Municipal League/Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys (1990-91)
- “ Measure of Damages in Regulatory Takings Cases” Laches, Oakland County Bar Journal
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Municipal Law Committee, Past Chairperson
- Detroit Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Government Law Section, Council Member and Past Chairperson
- Real Property Law Section, Member
- Zoning and Land Use Committee, Member
- American Bar Association
- Section of Urban, State and Local Government Law, Member
- Health Law Section, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, National Board Member
- Michigan Chapter, Past President
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Alumni Board of Directors
Bar and Court Admissions
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- Michigan Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- University of Detroit School of Law, J.D.
- cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.P.A
- with distinction
Insights & News
September 11, 2023
August 17, 2023
November 14, 2022
August 18, 2022
August 12, 2022
June 6, 2022
September 10, 2021
August 19, 2021
November 16, 2020
September 18, 2020
September 17, 2020
August 25, 2020
James Tamm (Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants) Named Best Lawyers© 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” In Troy
August 20, 2020
July 14, 2020
April 2, 2020