Kate McCarroll practices in the area of immigration and nationality law and leads the firm's Immigration and Nationality law group.
Kate has extensive experience in employment-related immigration law, including inbound and outbound immigration; physician immigration; I-9 and immigration-related compliance training; and, assisting corporations with Department of Labor/Department of Homeland Security audits. Kate has also handled immigration matters involving criminal and inadmissibility issues; family-based immigration; and asylum proceedings and has expertise in the specialized area of physician immigration.
Kate is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Detroit Mercy, and a mentor through the American Immigration Lawyers Association, where she answers questions from new and seasoned attorneys from around the country. Kate provides pro bono support to military families through AILA, and also offers pro bono counsel through the Michigan Immigrant Rights Center and serves on the International Medical Graduate Taskforce, where she lobbies on behalf of physician-related immigration issues.
In 2012, she was named to the Michigan Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars list. In 2016, Kate was selected as a “Michigan Super Lawyer” in immigration law. She was nominated as one of the “10 Best” Immigration Attorneys for Michigan by the American Institute of Legal Counsel, Immigration Division, in 2016. She was recognized by Crain’s Detroit Business as one of their Notable Women Lawyers in Michigan for 2017.
- VIDEO (here): Kerr Russell attorneys Kate McCarroll and Katherine Cser discuss the top five issues today in immigration, labor and employment law: Sexual Harassment, Transgender Employees, Employment Manuals (NLRB’s Boeing Decision), Department of Homeland Security Oversight, Immigration Challenges
- Kate discusses immigration matters and the slowing of the H-1B visa approval process in Crain’s Detroit Business here.
- Read Kate’s comments regarding renogtiated NAFTA and immigration rules in Crain’s Detroit Business here.
- Kate forecasts immigration law issues for 2019 in the January-February edition of Detroit Lawyer here.
- Read Kate’s opinion piece “Remembering ‘Sara and Jane’: Thoughts on immigration law and abuse victims seeking asylum” as published by Michigan Lawyers Weekly here.
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Michigan Healthcare Human Resources Association
- Chair of University of Detroit Mercy Alumni Board
- International Medical Graduate Taskforce
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. Federal District Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D.
- cum laude
- Title Editor, published author, Law Review
- University of Detroit Mercy, B.A.
- summa cum laude
Insights & News
May 22, 2020
April 23, 2020
April 3, 2020
March 27, 2020
March 24, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 16, 2020
December 18, 2019
November 15, 2019
October 23, 2019
September 4, 2019
June 21, 2019
March 19, 2019
March 5, 2019
December 18, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kerr Russell sponsors, partners attend Metropolitan Detroit's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 event
September 20, 2018
September 18, 2018
September 11, 2018
September 6, 2018
Kerr Russell attorneys, friends attend second annual New Americans Appreciation Gala - September 6 at The Henry
July 20, 2018
Kate McCarroll published in Michigan Lawyers Weekly - “Remembering 'Sara and Jane': Thoughts on immigration law and abuse victims seeking asylum”
June 27, 2018
June 25, 2018
June 18, 2018
Immigration Insider: Change in Delivery of Secure Documents, FY 2019 H-1B Lottery Petitions, and I-751 Removal of Conditions Extension (Summer 2018)
June 8, 2018
May 10, 2018
VIDEO: 5 in 15 - Immigration, Labor, & Employment Legal Trends: Sexual Harrassment, Transgender Employees, Employment Manuals (NLRB's Boeing Decision), Department of Homeland Security Oversight, Immigration Challenges
March 29, 2018
February 26, 2018
January 26, 2018
January 25, 2018
January 15, 2018
January 12, 2018
December 18, 2017
Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of Michigan
December 14, 2017
Immigration Insider - Travel Restrictions, USCIS Ends Deference to Extensions of Nonimmigrant Status, Online Naturalization Application, New H-1B Filings (Winter 2017)
December 12, 2017
December 12, 2017
December 7, 2017
November 30, 2017
November 16, 2017
November 8, 2017
Kerr Russell hosts Inforum's Downtown Detroit Luncheon Affinity Group to capacity crowd on November 8
November 6, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 2, 2017
November 1, 2017
Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areas
October 18, 2017
October 10, 2017
September 15, 2017
Immigration Insider - In-Person Interviews Expanded, Attorney Representation at Border, Denial of Advanced Parole, and DACA (Fall 2017)
August 22, 2017
August 10, 2017
June 11, 2017
January 30, 2017
November 1, 2016
December 14, 2011
Employment-based non-immigrant petitions and permanent residence processes.
Department of Labor/Department of Homeland Security audits.
Family-based immigration and naturalization.
I-9 and immigration-related compliance training.
J-1 Waivers, including Conrad 30 Waivers for Physicians.