Robert E. Forrest has extensive experience in litigating civil and criminal tax controversies with the federal and state governments, as well as the litigation of complex commercial disputes. He also has participated in numerous administrative and regulatory investigations involving other agencies of the federal and state governments.
Robert primarily represents both large and small corporations, their officers, and business professionals in difficult tax and criminal matters.
Robert previously served as a trial attorney for the Criminal Section, Tax Division, United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., from 1975 until 1981, where he was responsible for reviewing and prosecuting criminal tax cases throughout the country. He received an Outstanding Attorney Award from the Justice Department’s Tax Division in 1979.
Robert is the author of many articles and publications, and served as an Adjunct Professor of Taxation at the University of Detroit Mercy, School of Law. He also was named a “Michigan Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters and a Michigan “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Member, Board of Directors and Past President
- Federal Bar Foundation, Trustee
- Past Chair, Oakland County Bar Tax Committee
- Past Board Chair and Trustee, Academy of Sacred Heart (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers, Member
Bar and Court Admissions
- United States District Court, District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Claims
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Judicial clerk to the Honorable June L. Green, United States District Judge for the District of Columbia
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD
- Northwestern University, B.S.
Insights & News
January 26, 2018
December 18, 2017
Kerr Russell team makes holiday donations to Capuchin Soup Kitchen, Wigs 4 Kids, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Ann Arbor, and Children's Hospital of Michigan
November 30, 2017
November 3, 2017
November 1, 2017
Kerr Russell ranked in the 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" list nationally in 1 practice area and regionally in 17 practice areas
January 11, 2016
Robert E. Forrest authors "New Internal Revenue Code Provision Permits Revocation or Denial of Passport for Certain Taxpayers with Tax Debts"
April 11, 2013