July 10, 2018

Practice Break-Ups/Ownership of Patient Records

ANSWER: The absence of employment agreements and a shareholder agreement dictating the rights and duties of the shareholders and the PC make this a difficult situation. An employment agreement would contain termination provisions including a requirement that your partner give you a certain amount of written notice in advance of the termination of employment. An employment agreement and /or a shareholder agreement would typically also contain a covenant not to compete making clear whether and when your partner can set up a competing practice. An issue you have not mentioned (and one that will come up sooner or later) is what your partner is due for the stock in the PC, what the PC’s obligation is to repurchase it, the price, how the price is to be paid, etc. These buy-sell terms would have also been addressed in a shareholder agreement. The absence of these necessary contracts mean that your partner is free to leave without notice and that the two of you will likely be disputing each other’s actions going forward without any reasonable means (that these contracts would have provided) of resolving these issues.

Unlike the issues described above, the ownership of patient records is set forth in the law. The PC is the legal owner of the paper or other electronic media on which any patient’s records are stored. As the owner of the records, the PC is the only one that may legally transfer the records. Absent the agreement of the PC (subject to the right of the patients themselves to obtain these records – which will be discussed below) your partner cannot legally remove these records (physically or electronically).

What most often happens in these situations is that the departing dentist will notify the patients of the move or the patients will inquire where the departing dentist is now practicing. In either event, if a patient desires to continue treating with the departing dentist, that patient must request a copy of his/her records. Upon such a request both Michigan and Federal law would require the PC to make available a copy of the record if the patient is willing to pay a fee for the production of the copy. The fee that the PC may charge for producing the copy of the patient’s records is dictated by Michigan’s Medical Record Access Act. This link will take you to a listing of the current fees.

Providing for an orderly procedure at the outset of the relationship in an employment agreement is the only way to ensure the proper continuity of care for patients. This will also limit to the extent possible costly litigation to resolve disputes and claims between you and your partner(s).


Practice Areas

Health Care Law